I don’t really know why I wanna blog about this. It’s just that I seemed to sense this association people tend to make with bluntness and honesty. By the way, before I proceed, this entry shall not reflect on anything or anyone related to this subject matter. It’s just something that has been lingering in my head the past 15 minutes or so. I just picked the words up innocently and they have not gone away. They’re like impatiently dying to be unraveled. Knocking non-stop on the corners of my head. In fact, I think they’re hanging in there, in my conscious mind, waiting for me to unscramble the ambiguity attached to the words.

Bluntness & Honesty. Is it one and the same? Or is it similar? Or is it totally different but with some kind of correlation? I mean, just pondering upon these two words, leaves me to dwell on it, deep & deeper. Let’s take a peek at its definitions.

hon·es·ty
a: fairness and straightforwardness of conduct
b: adherence to the facts

blunt·ness
a: abrupt in speech or manner
b: being straight to the point
*definitions from online dictionary. I can’t be bothered to find a proper dictionary around

Well, doesn’t seem to me that these two are like peas in a pod. Just by looking at these definitions, the straightforwardness of honesty may indicate some characteristics of bluntness in it but consider how bluntness is defined. It doesn’t seem to illustrate that there is any element of honesty embedded within. I mean, does this imply that people can be blunt yet not honest. Can it be? Perhaps…

I don’t know how to take others as examples so I guess I’ll stick to myself as the guinea-pig here. All my life I’ve been one. Another won’t make a big difference. I mean, I would consider myself as blunt. Definitely! And those in the close circle would agree too. Damn right they will! In fact, I think those not close but have had an encounter with me, would think so too. At times, I’ve been told im too blunt? Is there such thing as too blunt? I mean, blunt is as blunt can be right? Now, the question remains. All those time I’ve been blunt, have I been honest? To myself or to others?I am blunt to myself even. I have all these pep-talks to myself, often. So often, that my mom thinks I’m mad and my dad thinks I’m a genius. Hahaha….

Ok back to story. What constitute bluntness to be the truth ?(truth makes up honesty). I can recall many incidents I’ve been cruelly blunt. To myself and to others. Forgive me for I am only human. I say things & do things, that would be considered as blunt. But, as far as I can recall, I don’t think all of those actions performed or words uttered were honest and of the truth. Sometimes, it’s just a matter of trying to make a point. Nothing to do with honesty at all.

Having given it some thought, I wonder now why such association between bluntness and honesty exists. You don’t have to be blunt to exhibit honesty. Neither do you have to express the element the truth when you are being blunt. You can be blunt for no matter what reason.

As usual, subject matters like this bring rise to many questions upon me. Am I proud being blunt? I mean, is it good being blunt? I don’t know . Is that a positive or a negative trait? Is it something that should be nurtured or should it be left standing on its own? Or should it be terminated? Have I been honestly blunt? Or have it been bluntly honest? Help!!!!!!

Again, I never answer the questions.