04 August 2007

... to be honest, something like that still surprises me ... starting from 0 until they are finished with their 'mask' - without beeing ashamed to show how much support they need to be pretty ...
- boramae -

Make-up - it's a world-wide thing. Nothing special about it. We all spend time making ourselves look...mmm...more acceptable.

On my way to COEX, a woman was walking in front of me. Something caught my eye - she was constantly touching and arranging her hair. She would stroke it as she was walking, straighten it, fluff it, then stroke it again, straighten it again, and again and again. I wondered, "Why does she keep on touching her hair - it looks fine?" But she kept on doing this, caressing her hair the entire walk. Strangely enough she got into the same elevator as I did; and this is where I encountered the second interesting thing: almost every elevator in Korea has mirrors. Basically, they are constructed of mirrors.

Back to the woman. As we entered the elevator, the first thing she did was to walk straight to the mirror and adjust her hair again. She stood there grooming herself, oblivious to the rest of us in the elevator. Then, finally done, she swirled around to stare at the door of the elevator like the rest of us. But...occasionaly glancing back to the mirror to give her hair a few final adjustments.

This kind of behaviour is common here. I think women are extremely aware of how they look. They will even use their cell phones to take a picture of themselves to see whether they look okay.i've seen this so many times in the subway.


This photo is also something you would not see in Malaysia (maybe other countries). The girl was sitting there and the next moment whipped out her brush and started brushing her hair there in public. Not a care in the world.

But to say it again - after 5 months, I'm used to it, and more than that: I'm part of it..haha


"Beauty perceived as an ability."

Interesting, but I think it's always been this way. Women have been slathering themselves in makeup for centuries. Charcoal around the eyes...white plaster on the face.

I think it should be

"Beauty perceived by how rich you are."

Because, really only people with money can afford make-up, good make-up...and it always has been that way.

1 whisper(s):

Nota Matahati said...

i appreciate natural beauty more than the artificial one.. ^_^